There are so many variations of this salad. The combination pictured above would have to be one of my favourites. Orange works so well with sliced fennel. However, pear, apple, grapefruit, strawberries and peach work well too. Plus, the addition of avocado, and other nuts and seeds too such as roasted almonds or pecans and pepitas.
This is a fun one to try, and nice served with just about anything.
For the salad
- Leafy greens (e.g. lettuce, rocket, baby spinach, silverbeet or mixed leaves)
- One or more herbs (e.g. parsley, mint, coriander, basil, dill)
- Something fruity and juicy (e.g. sliced orange, grapefruit, strawberries, peach, pear, apple, pomegranite)
- Crunch (e.g. nuts, slithered/roasted/chopped/flaked, seeds, raw crunchy fennel, sprouts, raw buckwheat kernals.. get creative)
- Optional: something for extra flavour and/or texture and/or colour interest (e.g. feta, avocado, other seeds or nuts, edible flowers)
For the dressing
I love a zingy vinaigrette with this salad. To make something super tasty, you need:
- Vinegar (e.g. white, red wine, balsamic, sherry, etc.) or citrus juice (fresh lemon juice, lime, orange or grapefruit)
- Oil (e.g. olive oil, flaxseed, avocado, etc.)
- Optional: Something with a punchy flavour (e.g. horseradish or mustard)
- Salt and pepper (e.g. or soy sauce/tamari and pepper)
In a small jar add one part vinegar to 1.5-2 parts oil, your flavoursome addition and then season. Put the lid on tight and shake (or mix well using a fork or spoon), taste and season. If need, add more vinegar/citrus juice or oil (to suit your preferences).
To assemble your salad
- Choose a dish, bowl or large plate. Arrange your leaves, sliced fruit, crunchy ingredient (e.g. raw fennel or nuts) and add any extra additions. Then, drizzle over your dressing and using tongs or salad servers toss a little or leave as is to serve.