It’s May.. winter is pretty much here.. you’ve been incredibly busy since Christmas.. work and life flies ahead.. you may be working towards a mid year goal, a deadline (or perhaps many deadlines).. and, perhaps you haven’t had a mini break since December/January?? .. and now you’re finding yourself running a little low on energy. Does this sound like you? If so you’re not alone! The body just needs some rest, warmth and nourishing food.
Food makes an incredible difference to how you feel and how strong your immune system is. Eating well is one of the most important things you can do to keep you healthy and fighting fit. In some cases of course, if one’s immunity is compromised then nutrition plays a role but is only one piece of the puzzle.
Immunity is a big topic- so I’ll save this for another time. But as a start, getting in lots of vitamins through fresh fruit and vegetables everyday is key to a healthy immune system. Starting the day with a juice like this is one way to get a great boost- it’s cleansing and provides a high dose of protective nutrients. At the moment I’m making it a few times a week, first thing in the morning. Am loving a small glass of this followed by a bowl of warming porridge.. it does require a little more time, but getting up that little bit earlier is proving to be worth it.
This juice is worth trying because it’s:
– High in vitamin C: A powerful antioxidant
– High in phyto-chemicals: Non-nutritive chemicals found in plant foods that are very protective. For example, they act as an antioxidant and some are also anti-bacterial
– Provides anti-inflammatory goodness: Both garlic and turmeric are wonderful spices that are warming and have an anti-inflammatory effect
– Hydrating: First thing in the morning, this juice is a tasty alternative to a glass of water. Using coconut water is particularly hydrating as it contains electrolytes including potassium and magnesium.
– Refreshing, cleansing and awakening: Try it and you will see. On a grey chilly Melbourne morning this really wakes me up!.. and makes me feel bright.
– Delicious: If you like citrus I’m sure you’ll love this. But if you’re not crazy on citrus try a different combination, I’ve suggested a few below.
‘Boost your immunity’ juice
1 cup water or coconut water
The flesh of 1 orange
1 kiwi fruit
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 cup spinach
Leaves from 2 sprigs of parsley
2 fresh mint leaves
½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
A pinch of turmeric
If you find this too zesty or sour.. Try also ½ an apple, pear or some strawberries.
Keep well and warm.