If you’ve never been a lover of tofu and would like to finally discover how good it can be then you MUST try this recipe. It’s all about the marinade! The salty and sweet zing of this sauce adds flavour and colour to the tofu, as well as some nutritional goodness. When pan fried this tofu is delicious served with salad sides, or in a salad, a burger or wrap (tis a really nice alternative to meat). I tend to pan fry extra so that I have leftovers for the next day as when cold this tofu is just as good.
This makes a nice amount of tofu for two.
For the sauce:
- 1 Tbsp. tahini (I use unhulled)
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari sauce
- ~ 1 tsp. seeded mustard
- ~ 1 -2 tsp. maple syrup, coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Cracked pepper
- Chilli flakes
- 200g firm tofu (I love organic)
- In a small bowl mix together 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. mustard, 1 Tbsp. tahini, 1 tsp. sugar/maple syrup, ~ 1.5 Tbsp. red wine vinegar and about 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add a pinch of chilli and cracked pepper and mix well.
- Slice your tofu into pieces that are about 1cm thick. Then pour half your sauce into a shallow wide dish or plate, place tofu in and toss, then pour the remaining sauce over the pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- To cook, preheat a pan to low heat and fry tofu on each for for approx. 4mins, until each side is nice and golden.