Think sticky date pudding and carrot cake combined. These muffins are fluffy yet textured, light yet hearty and can be adjusted to be gluten free, dairy free and egg free. Easy peasy.
For the muffins:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil (canola, olive or coconut)
- 3 medium sized carrots, grated
- The zest of one orange
- 1/4-1/3 cup sugar (raw, brown or coconut)
- 1 cup SR flour (GF SR flour also works perfectly)
- 1/2 tps. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- A good handful of dates, chopped
- A handful of raisins (optional)
For the frosting
- 1/2 a block of Philadelphia cream cheese
- the juice of half a lemon
- the juice of half an orange
- ~ 1/2 cup icing sugar
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a muffin tray (either a 6 or 12 muffin tray).
In a large bowl mix all wet ingredients plus sugar, carrot and orange zest. Then add your dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and spices) and carefully fold in making sure all is combined but try not to over mix. Pour mixture into your muffin tin. If using a 6 muffin tin bake for 25mins (I suggest checking muffins at 20mins), if using a 12 muffin tin bake for 15mins.
Allow muffins to cool in tin while you make your frosting. To make, using a whisk mix cream cheese, citrus juice and icing sugar in a small bowl until well combined and creamy. If too runny add more icing sugar and if too thick add a tiny more juice.
Once muffins are cool, add frosting and enjoy.