A delicious way to boost your greens..
If you’re not a lover of salad or green vegetables on their own, green mash could be an easy and tasty way to increase your greens.
Why this mash is so good..
Peas are groovy little winners. Generally a well-loved vegetable, they are a fantastic base for mash as they provide sweetness. Snap frozen peas are cheap and contain fibre, folate and vitamins so they’re a great vegetable to always have at hand. Broccoli and spinach (as you may already agree) are just awesome- very good sources of folate and vitamin C. They also provide a little iron too. Together, all of these provide immune boosting goodness and their flavours combining beautifully. A touch of fresh mint and lemon adds a zingy freshness. This mash goes especially well with salmon, but would also be nice with red meat, chicken and/or other vegetables.
Preparation time: 5mins
Cooking time: 5-10mins
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 cup broccoli (small florets)
A squeeze of lemon juice
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tsp of butter
1. Combine peas, spinach, broccoli, lemon juice and zest in a saucepan and add just enough water so that the peas are covered in water.
2. Simmer on low-medium heat, and remove from heat after 5mins of simmering or until peas are just cooked.
3. Add mint leaves and stir through.
4. Drain all water from pan.
5. Blend all greens together, using a hand held mixer, until you create a smash or mash, depending on the consistency that you like.
6. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and a tsp of butter and stir in.
7. Taste to ensure the right balance, you may like to add a little more lemon juice or seasoning.
8. Serve warm with fish, meat, tofu and/or other vegetables.