Think carrot cake, but light with nice crunchy almond bits. This recipe is easy, and while they sound a bit on the healthy side they are delicious – beautifully sweet and moreish. Carrot, zucchini, apple, almonds, egg, flour and olive oil all provide wonderful energy and nutrients. A brilliant snack and especially nice with a cup of tea or coffee. When still warm they are divine! I had one just out of the oven last night, warm with greek yoghurt – amazing.
These muffins were a result of suddenly remembering that I’d promised the doctors, physios and staff at my clinic that I’d bring cake in. While not ideal, in that I then frantically need to come up with something, these are often the moments when wonderful recipe creation happens.
If needing to create something last minute I start with inspecting my fridge, pantry and freezer for inspiration, and if perplexed I look over a few favourite recipes. Carrots and zucchini are winner veggies for cake or muffins. As I had plenty of these, ‘carrot cake’ style muffins it was.
Luckily this recipe (a mix match of several recipes) worked. The muffins turned out to be scrumptious and easy to cut up and share around too. Sharing home baked cake sparks wonderful face expressions and conversations.. good fun.
Prep time: ~15mins
Baking time: 20mins
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated apple
- A handful of chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel (optional)
- 2 cups plain flour
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup canola or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and grease a muffin tray.
- In medium sized bowl, combine eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add grated carrot, zucchini, apple, orange peel, chopped almonds and mix until all is combined.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda. Then add the carrot mixture and fold through until all is mixed well.
- Spoon mixture into your greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool before removing.
- These muffins are beautiful on their own, warm or cold.